Developing Sustainable Renewable Resources for Columbus, GA
Turning liabilities into Assets, Since 1991
Columbus Power Producers is developing and constructing a Renewable Natural Gas (RNG) facility at the Pine Grove Landfill. This project is designed to have a major positive environmental and community impact from the collection and utilization of the gas being generated from the landfill.
The primary constituent in landfill gas is Methane (just like in Natural Gas) and our facility will process that landfill gas into pipeline quality, RNG. Through the collection and processing of the landfill gas, these projects help mitigate odor, which is an issue common to landfills.
The facility will convert collected landfill gas daily to pipeline quality renewable gas that can be used in homes, industry, and transportation.
That is enough gas to heat an average 3,155* homes and reduce landfill gas emission an average 4,447 tons* of methane annually.
*EPA Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies Calculator
Annually This Project Would Be Equal To
The carbon sequestered by 122,986 acres of U.S. forests in 1 year
CO2 emissions from 234,531 barrels of oil consumed
CO2 emissions from 11,347,850 gallons of gasoline consumed
These are minimum projections based on 2,000 standard cubic feet per minute
Types Of Projects
As trash decomposes it generates gas. Landfill Gas consists of Methane, CO2, Oxygen, and other trace gases. Methane is the primary constituent and can be utilized just like Natural Gas!
There are four primary types of projects:
- Direct Use: Gas is piped directly to a customer – typically for a boiler, incinerator, or other Natural Gas Application. Requires Minimal Treatment. Also known as Medium-Btu.
- Power: Gas is utilized in an internal combustion engine or turbine to create electricity, which is then sold back to the local utility, grid, or a customer connected to the power grid.
- Renewable Natural Gas (RNG): Gas is extensively treated and injected back into the Natural Gas Pipeline Utility. Also known as High-Btu.
- Vehicle Fuel: Gas is compressed or liquified to use in-vehicle applications
All of these projects meet Renewable Standards, generate qualified credits, and with environmental sustainability
Development and various milestones for this project have been underway since 2017! Construction will begin this year and commercial operation should be achieved before the end of 2023. Up to 100 workers per day will be employed during construction and support 150 new jobs in the area during construction. Normal operations will employ 3 skilled operators and support 6 new permanent jobs in the region.
The Development Team
The project will be performed by business units all residing under the Landfill Group LLC, a biogas-focused renewable energy company based in Charlotte, North Carolina. It was founded in 1991 has since been involved in more than 60 LFGTE projects.
- Values: family, trust, respect, responsibility, stewardship, and a commitment to excellence
- Vision: To be a company surrounded by people who embody our values and achieve our goals, is equitable, promotes purpose, and encourages our employees to create a meaningful quality of life
- Mission: Leave it better than you found it